Aug 15, 2012, 4:22 PM EDT
On a positive note, Roy Halladay put together another solid outing in Wednesday afternoon’s loss to the Marlins. Halladay lasted seven innings, allowing three runs on six hits while walking one and striking out seven. He probably pitched well enough to earn the W. Unfortunately, he had a little trouble handling Greg Dobbs.
The former Phillies pinch hitter extraordinaire came back to haunt his old mates with a pair of runs batted in off of Halladay, including the solo home run in the sixth that put Miami in the driver’s seat. In spite of Dobbs’ efforts, Doc kept the Fightins in the game, but any chance of a late rally was effectively extinguished when Charlie Manuel went to the bullpen in the bottom of the eighth. A 3-2 deficit abruptly descended into a 9-2 thrashing, and that was the final.
B.J. Rosenberg, Raul Valdes, and Michael Schwimer were on the hook for six earned runs, though the damage is really on the hands of Rosenberg and Schwimer. Rosenberg failed to record an out, leaving the game with runners on first and second and one already across. Two batters later, Schwimer entered with one out and the bases loaded following an intentional walk, which is about the point when things got out of hand.
The Phillies didn’t provide the pitching staff much help at the plate, either. The offense mustered just five hits on the afternoon, as Mark Buehrle went seven innings and surrendered two runs on a Ty Wigginton bomb — his only mistake. Ryan Howard had the day off.
Coming into the day, the Phillies had not allowed a run in two games, and the Marlins had not scored one in three, but we all know that stuff doesn’t last forever. Still a disappointing loss that snaps a three-game winning streak, and strands the club’s three-games-or-better sweep count at one. However, on that note the Phils head to Milwaukee next for a set of four — the Brewers being that one team they swept.
|docdeath20 on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|mslavick on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|Feves on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|Matt S. on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return