Apr 29, 2013, 10:54 AM EDT
Sometimes all a struggling team needs is a date with the New York Mets.
The Phillies have a much-deserved off day on Monday after completing a most enjoyable sweep of the Mets on Sunday.
Things really went about as smoothly as a Phillies fan could have hoped for. The offense put up four or more runs in each of the three contests while the starters — Kendrick, Pettibone, and Hamels — all earned wins.
The three victories pulled the Phils to a 12-14 record on the season.
Meanwhile, elsewhere in the NL East the Braves and Nationals have found some early season struggles of their own. The Braves have dropped four straight and are winners of only three of their last ten. You can’t stay hot forever.
All of these things are just another reminder that baseball is a really long season. Couple a Phils weekend sweep of the Mets with the Braves getting the broom and the conversations at your Sunday dinner turn from “yeah, the Phillies suck,” to “hey, they’ve been playing alright.”
4 games back and it’s not even May yet. It’s a long season.
But a sweep of the Mets is good for the soul. It won’t magically make the roster any younger, but it sure will make you feel better about flipping on the Phils on the TV/radio in the near future.
And we get to enjoy this one for an extra day before the Phils get back at it in Cleveland on Tuesday against a struggling Indians team.
|brandonphilly on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
|CD on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|NBA lottery is rigge… on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|J on CEO Scott O’Neil promise…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money