Apr 4, 2012, 10:25 AM EDT
From pitcher to first baseman back to a new pitching role, Joe Savery’s journey has been a quirky one. The Phillies informed Savery on Tuesday night following the Phillies final spring tune up that he’d made the team’s 25-man roster for Opening Day. He couldn’t believe it. [quotes from Savery and full roster below]
with my wife and my parents and I… I just can’t believe it.”
“You can’t replace that first time,” Savery said of his initial call to
The Show. “But to make an Opening Day roster… the romantic side of
Opening Day baseball in this country, to be part of that I’m really
As Ruben Amaro and Charlie Manuel say in the video below, it’s a great story. Savery put in the work to get his velocity up and the lack of lefties already in the pen helped him earn a spot.
The full roster for Opening Day tomorrow:
Pitchers: Right-handers Joe Blanton, Roy Halladay, David Herndon, Kyle Kendrick, Jonathan Papelbon, Chad Qualls, Michael Stutes and Vance Worley, and left-handers Antonio Bastardo, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee and Joe Savery.
Catchers: Carlos Ruiz and Brian Schneider.
Infielders: Freddy Galvis, Pete Orr, Placido Polanco, Jimmy Rollins, Jim Thome and Ty Wigginton.
Outfielders: John Mayberry Jr., Laynce Nix, Hunter Pence, Juan Pierre and Shane Victorino.
|your a fool on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|phillyphanatic77 on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|Hiccup on Cliff Lee struck out 13 Braves…|
|Chutley on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money