Jul 27, 2011, 2:11 PM EDT
In my opinion, either Hunter Pence or Carlos Beltran would be a great addition to the Phillies roster as they push for a World Series championship. Charlie Manuel has said over and over he’d want somebody who is a clear upgrade. Beltran rumors today point toward him landing with the Giants, which leaves Pence as the Phillies prime target.
The problem there, as we’ve surmised all along, is that the Astros don’t really want to deal him. Which means they want to be blown out of the water. Jayson Stark reports what he believes the Phillies offered:
That’s a pretty hefty bunch of prospects with Cosart and Singleton, two guys highly regarded in the Phillies system. But at the end of the day, they’re just prospects. Prospects are never a sure thing in the bigs.
Pence seems like a longshot based on Stark’s analysis, but Jim Salisbury believes Ruben Amaro Jr. is under tremendous pressure to win it all now, and that he may need to go the extra mile to get a deal for Pence done.
talent, young talent, the kind that can come back and bite a team in the
backside down the road. But it is a sacrifice that must be made because
Phillies management has to do everything it can to ensure that this
team is in position to bring home a title in October. It’s all up to the
players in October, but management has to make sure it puts the best
possible players on the field.
Ahhh, I don’t know what to think. Singleton, Cosart, and even Dom Brown seem to have such a bright future in Philadelphia. But, that’s the future. What about October?
The pressure is on. How much are you willing to give up for Pence?
|wholesale Senior Bow… on ‘Who’s That Guy?…|
|clubberlangphila on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money