Apr 22, 2013, 3:14 AM EDT
Erik Kratz put the proverbial nail in the turkey pig’s coffin on Sunday night with his huge 3-run homer in the eighth inning (video), but it was Ben Revere’s single up the middle a moment earlier that proved to be the game winner. And boy, could he use it.
Fans have gotten on Revere’s poor offensive effort as of late — and let’s be honest, he kind of deserves it at this point — especially picking at his awful OBP and obvious lack of power. That futility showed up yet again in the sixth inning when he grounded into a double play with the bases loaded to kill a rally.
Apparently well aware of his poor showing, Ben Revere put himself into a timeout.
Revere was still upset when he came back to the dugout after the next
half inning so he retreated to the clubhouse and remembered some advice
his mother had given him: When things aren’t going well, find a quiet
place, “your happy place,” Revere said, and re-focus.
“I gave myself a time out,” he said. “I came to my happy place and it helped me.”
When Revere had a chance for redemption in the eighth, he came up big, and his reaction was pretty fantastic (video). You could see how bad he wanted it.
Erik Kratz may have stole his thunder a bit, but fans will let a go-ahead game-winning hit give your pretty bad OBP a pass for at least a day. Maybe two.
Kyle Kendrick pitched pretty well given the cold conditions: 6.0 IP, 8 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned, 1 BB, 6 Ks. He had to work hard for it early, which got his pitch count up way high, but he worked his way through it and kept the Phils within striking distance the whole game. Chad Durbin couldn’t blow this one.
What the Chase?
Chase Utley made his second base running error in as many nights and this one was just bad. To pile on his bone-headed night, Utley had a very costly throwing error as well. I suppose he gets a longer pass than most because he’s been raking at the plate, but two nights in a row makes you wonder what’s up. Didn’t see any quotes from him after the game. Not surprising as Chase talking seems to be pretty rare these days.
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money