Aug 29, 2011, 1:44 PM EDT
When Hunter Pence came over from the Houston Astros, he brought along some sweet high pants and stirrups to go with his hustle and awkward style of play.
The Inquirer’s Michael Vitez made the wise decision to take Pence’s pants as a cue to investigate the high-sock/no-sock presence on the Phillies club. It’s an enlightening read, sharing that some players like Roy Oswalt wear the high socks because the old school vibe mimics his game. Ryan Howard wears long pants for comfort. Not surprisingly, Jimmy Rollins wants to look good on the diamond.
But one of my favorite parts was when Vitez touches on the old Phillies stirrups that featured the Liberty Bell on them. ESPN uniform expert Paul Lukas says that one former Phillie rocked said stirrup in the most iconic baseball fashion possible known as “blousing.”
From the Inquirer piece:
Furthermore, Lukas says, Thome is one of the best and last practitioners of “blousing,” where a player pulls the elastic in his pant leg up to the knee, then neatly folds over the remaining fabric, forming a perfect, slightly flaring cuff at mid-calf.
Big Jim. Does it all.
We couldn’t clearly remember the Liberty Bell look, so we went back into the AP photo archives to get a better shot of the Liberty Bell stirrup.
UPDATE: After looking at the photos of Thome, Matt and I were debating whether Thome wore stirrups or socks with the Liberty Bell logo on them. We emailed Paul Lukas of Uni-watch.com to get his thoughts.
“He actually wore red stirrups over red undersocks!,” Lukas responded to us via email.
>>Baseball and socks appeal [Inquirer]
|tcclark on Andrew MacDonald’s contract pa…|
|psudrozz on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
|DenverFlyer on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
|Bob on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money