Jan 17, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
To steal a regular Gawker feature, here’s a bit of a blind item.
Philadelphia Magazine has an article with a bit of a misleading title this month: Which Eagles and Phillies Are Gay? Why just the two most popular teams in town? Why not the Sixers and Flyers and Union as well?
The article doesn’t really try and search out any potentially closeted Philly athletes, but rather it examines the larger issue of why no professional athlete in general has come out of the closet during their playing days. It’s an article that gives a glimpse of feelings inside today’s Eagles’ and Flyers’ locker rooms on the issue of having a gay teammate. The feelings are fairly wide-ranging with a leaning towards the guarded and ignorant, it would seem.
One of the passages that stood out to us — a bit shocking to see in print — was about a recent Phillie who may have swung both ways off the field. Huber writes:
rumored to be quite interested in men. There are whispers in gay circles
about him picking up men at Knock, a bar on Washington Square West, and
taking them back to his condo. Phillies insiders still murmur about his
I think you can narrow down those descriptors to a rather small number of players.
>>Which Eagles and Phillies Are Gay? [Philly Mag]
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return