Jan 8, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT
In a rather shocking development, longtime Phillies broadcaster Chris Wheeler is out from the television broadcasts after decades in the booth. Sarge Matthews’ time in the booth has also come to an end as well.
That’s just goofy.
The AP first reported the news.
Both will move to different roles in the Phillies organization according to the team’s statement:
“As the longest-tenured member of the Phillies broadcasting team, Chris Wheeler will return to his club roots after stepping down from his role as a Phillies broadcaster. With 37 years of broadcasting experience, combined with his front office background where he began his Phillies career, ‘Wheels’ will take on a new role allowing the organization to continue to benefit from his knowledge, experience and dedication to the game. Additionally, Gary Matthews will continue to work with the Phillies bringing his exceptional background as a major league ballplayer, broadcaster and commentator to new roles at the Phillies.”
And Chris Wheeler’s statement:
“It’s been an honor and a privilege to be a part of the Phillies broadcast team for 37 years. I certainly respect the decision that was made and I look forward to my new role in the Phillies organization.”
Fan opinions on Wheels and Sarge where obviously mixed, but I think we can all agree Wheels’ reaction to the 2008 World Series was totally awesome.
It’s certainly going to be a bit strange watching a Phillies telecast without Wheelerisms flying at us every couple of pitches.
No words yet on a replacement. You’d think Scott Franzke and Larry Andersen would be in the mix? Although Todd Zolecki reports they’ll stay on the radio side of things.
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
|sfsu on Ray Emery will go again for Fl…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money