Apr 23, 2013, 6:02 PM EDT
The offense did knock the cover off the ball but you have to look at the Phillies coming away with a win in Jonathan Pettibone’s MLB debut as a positive for Charlie Manuel’s club. Now they look to build off that victory by handing their ball to their ace, Cole Hamels.
[Before we get to the game, how about Chuck manning first base during BP this afternoon as seen in the photo above? Reminds me of a story I wrote about him throwing BP to Pat Burrell back in the day. Which I couldn't find a link to. Anyone?]
Cole Hamels (0-2, 6.4) is still looking for his first victory of the season and will take on fellow left-hander Jeff Locke (1-1, 5.17) for the Buccos. Let’s hope Cole doesn’t go on a Cliff Lee-like run last season and have to start checking off the win-less months.
Cole has been much improved over his last two starts, allowing just 4 earned runs — after a miserable 13 earned runs in his first two starts of 2013. The Phils have gone 0-4 over those four starts. Friendly game note we may have just jinxed: the Phillies have NEVER lost 5 consecutive starts made by Colbert Hamels.
Hamels will not have the support of one Chase Utley in the lineup this evening — although Chase did just fine when he was used as a pinch hitter last week. Freddy Galvis gets the start at second as Utley gets a regular-old rest day. The team is in the midst of a 17-games-in-17-days run. So rest now seems logical.
Carlos Ruiz will begin a rehab assignment tonight in Clearwater and will appear in Reading this weekend. He’ll be eligible to return to the Phillies this Sunday, April 28th when the take on the Mets in New York.
7:05 pitch per usual. Hope you brought your winter coat because it’s cold as _____.
Tonight’s Lineup: Rollins, Galvis, Young, Howard, Mayberry, Brown, Revere, Kratz, Colbert
|psudrozz on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money