May 18, 2011, 12:53 AM EDT
The Phillies really spread the blame around in the 2-1 loss on Tuesday night. Roy Oswalt actually pitched quite well given his circumstances, but the offense was once again abysmal, putting up one lone run, and that was due in large part to a laughable Cardinals’ error on a Jimmy Rollins pop up in the eighth. We laughed at that folly, but it was the Cardinals who were laughing at the end of the night.
After the offense put up goose eggs for seven straight innings, Phillies fans were elated to see them scrap together a run in the eighth to tie things up, even if it was cheap and unearned.
This team needs any break it can get.
Unfortunately, the excitement of a potential late game comeback didn’t last long as Danys Baez gave up three straight hits in the ninth to load the bases with no outs. Baez managed to work Holliday into a groundout before the ball was handed to JC Romero. It only took one pitch from the lefty for Lance Berkman to send Cardinals fans home happy.
Many of the commenters were livid at Charlie Manuel’s decision to go with Baez over trusted sometimes-closer Ryan Madson. Leverage this, leverage that, the book says do this, the book says do that. I don’t think you can kill Charlie all that much for opting to save Madson on the road, but you certainly can question it.
The complete lack of offense, defensive lapses from Ben Francisco in right and Dane Sardinha at the plate, and a Danys Baez/JC Romero blow up in the ninth did them in once again.
They return to Citizens Bank Park tomorrow to face the Rockies (weather permitting). Maybe some home cooking will help them find the long-lost offense?
Michael Stutes came in to relieve Roy Oswalt and left the game after only three pitches with a muscle strain in his back. As for the severity of the injury, reporters asked Stutes if he thought he’d miss any time.
Stutes had this to say, “I don’t know. I’ve never had an injury before. I guess we’ll figure it
out tomorrow. Hopefully it’s just a freak thing where I just strained
something and I’ll wake up tomorrow feeling good.”
|Steve on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|Jeff on Could LeBron James be playing…|
|Rich Milkman on Remember This Guy: Chad O…|
|Jeff on New Eagles linebacker was Aber…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return