Oct 3, 2011, 4:55 PM EDT
There was a heated discussion on the Phillies postgame show on WPHT about the play at the plate in which Jon Jay ran hard into Carlos Ruiz and elbowed him in the head along the way.
As we sat in traffic exiting the game, Jim Jackson and Sarge Matthews were disagreeing adamantly about the play. Sarge immediately wrote it off as being part of the game, noting Jay was simply playing the way you should to win. Jackson wasn’t as sure, saying that it’s impossible to know Jay’s intent, and that a similar play in another sport like the NHL could cost a guy a 10-game suspension.
It made for some awkward yet intriguing radio. As we drove home, however, we didn’t really know which guy to side with, as there are no replays of bang-bang plays shown on the jumbotron at Citizens Bank Park.
On a couple of occasions, Sarge pulled out the “if you’ve ever played the game card…” which I thought was a bit unfair in terms of judging intent. Then again, judging intent is an often fruitless endeavor.
After finally seeing the play the next day, Jay’s bowling over of Chooch seemed relatively normal to me for playoff atmosphere. But the arm and elbow swing seemed a little bit to “swingy” to me.
Chooch, of course, held on to the ball and Jay was called out. The Phillies held the lead for the time being in the 4th and CBP went nuts.
How did you view the play?
Photos by US Presswire.
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money