Jun 20, 2011, 10:24 AM EST
As avid Phillies fans are well aware of, Charlie Manuel spent a couple of years playing ball in Japan, showing off his hitting skills as a member of the Yakult Swallows and Kintetsu Buffaloes.
As legend has it, Manuel was known as “Aka-Oni” or The Red Devil by Japanese fans and teammates. So it’s no surprise he can still toss around some of the lingo he learned way back in the 70′s.
With Philadelphia facing the Seattle Mariners this past weekend, a team that features the legendary Japanese star Ichiro Suzuki, CSN’s Jim Salisbury asked Charlie if he ever chats up Ichiro in his native language. [video below]
Now, our on-staff Japanese translator is on vacation, so we couldn’t confirm Charlie’s accuracy in the below clip. Charlie allegedly tells Ichiro to take it easy on the Phillies in Japanese.
Can anyone who speaks Japanese tell us whether or not Manuel’s skills are still on point? I’d also like to know how to say, “but at the same time” as well, if you can educate us.
UPDATE: From Twitter: RT @letmebegreat: @the700level He has an accent, def. I believe he’s saying 「らくに」(“rakuni:). Close to 「きらくに」(“kirakuni – “take it easy”).
|Bonsai Steve on Mosher: DeSean Jackson’s…|
|Nick Russo on 3 Stars: Giroux, Voracek pace…|
|Steve on Adrian Peterson thinks Mike Vi…|
|Ummmm on Union unveil new primary kits,…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return