Aug 16, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
It’s a sad day in Philadelphia. And the true end of one of the most magical eras in Philly sports history.
Charlie Manuel is out as Manager of the Philadelphia Phillies.
It’s hard to blame Charlie for this team’s struggles. There’s not a lot a manager can do to get a mediocre ball club to perform above its capabilities. I don’t know how you use Manuel as a scapegoat for this team.
On a personal note, covering sports can often be a drag, but getting the opportunity to sit next to Charlie Manuel in the Phillies dugout before games and listen to him talk baseball for 10-15 minutes at a time was one of the most fulfilling aspects of running this website. The guy lives and breathes baseball.
Hearing him exclaim “This is for Philadelphia!” after winning the 2008 World Series is one of our fondest memories.
Charlie will be missed.
The Charlie news has been reported by multiple outlets. Jim Salisbury had it first. Watch the press conference live here at 2:30 pm.
|Jason R. on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|your a fool on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|phillyphanatic77 on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|Hiccup on Cliff Lee struck out 13 Braves…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money