Jul 26, 2011, 4:49 PM EDT
Tim Lincecum (8-8, 2.90) and the World Champion San Francisco Giants are in Philadelphia this evening to take on Vance Worley (6-1, 2.02) and the Phillies. There are some painful memories from the last time these two teams met on this field, but this is a new season, and while the Phils know they may need to go through the Giants in the postseason, that’s a long ways down the road. But as far as a late July series goes, this should be a fun one.
(UPDATE: Tim Lincecum has been scratched from his start this evening due to the flu. Barry Zito (3-2, 4.78), who was scheduled to go tomorrow, will start tonight in Timmy’s place.)
“It’s a good series. It’s good for the fans, it’s good for the media, it’s good for us probably,” Manager Charlie Manuel said in the dugout before the game.
“They’re having a good year. They’re in first place in their division, we’re in first place in ours. Lincecum’s pitching tonight. He’s always tough,” Manuel added. “We got our work cut out for us, we gotta come out and out play them and beat ‘em. Keep our same old boring way of going about it and win.”
After last season’s disappointment, does Charlie Manuel feel like he’s got to go through the Giants to climb the mountain top?
“I think we’re about 61 games ahead of ourselves,” Manuel said, noting that there is plenty of season left before any crowning gets done.
But when somebody beats you, there’s an innate desire to get back at them, right?
“When people beat my team, I always want to get back and get revenge on them. I want to be the last guy standing.”
Perhaps it was legendary professional wrestler Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka’s presence in the clubhouse before Tuesday night’s game, but Manuel then put his bravado face on. We know from last year’s NLCS, Charlie loves him some professional wrestling quips.
“There will be a reckoning day,” Charlie said with a smile.
Photo from Jimmy Rollins on Twitter
Tonight’s lineup against the Giants right-hander: Rollins, Martinez, Utley, Howard, Victorino, Ibanez, Brown Mayberry, Schneider, and Worley. (UPDATE: Once Lincecum was scratched, Charlie went with Mayberry over Dom in right)
Charlie said it’s just a day of for Chooch. Nothing to be alarmed about.
No Pat the Bat this week in Philly, as the former Phils slugger is on the DL.
|Marianne on Cole Hamels could miss all of…|
|teguhp63 on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|33 on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|sfsu on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return