Jun 25, 2011, 9:35 AM EDT
For most of the night, the only thing really laughable in the Phillies-A’s series opener was the inability by either team to get a hit. Credit both sides’ defenses with a lot of that, because despite carrying dual no-hitters into the sixth inning, the starting pitching wasn’t exactly crisp all night. Vance Worley allowed just one hit in six innings, but part of his no-hit effectiveness included walking four batters. A’s starter Guillermo Moscoso let up two hits over seven, walking three of his own.
It wasn’t a terrible night for Worley, who also struck out four. But he wasn’t thrilled with his outing, taking a moment in the post-game press appearance to have some fun at his own expense.
With Brian Fuentes on the mound for the Beane Ballers, the Phils finally got their offense in gear. Shane Victorino worked a leadoff walk, moved to second on a single by Dom Brown and third on a groundout by Brian Scheider, where he stood when mighty Benny came to the plate.
Francisco’s swing was far from pretty, his hit nowhere near a screamer, spiking hard into the dirt of the home plate cutout. But it caught a wicked enough bounce to easily clear Scott Sizemore at third base and score Victorino for the walkoff win.
I was out with family, with the Phils on the outdoor TV on a pretty nice summer night in Delco. Easily the highlight of the night was when Charlie strode to the mic for his postgame presser. Everyone just kind of got quiet, knowing that there’s often some gold in these. Last night certainly didn’t disappoint. Here’s just a sample, where he talks about something a little concerning, the health of Ryan Madson, but with trademark levity and candor:
|Mostel on Union have real chance to make…|
|willh888 on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
|Lol on Andrew MacDonald’s contract pa…|
|RightMeow on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money