May 23, 2011, 9:52 PM EDT
Chase Utley’s return to Citizens Bank Park on Monday night brought 45,841 fans out to South Philadelphia, the most ever for a regular season game at the new park. No. 26 was greeted to a raucous standing ovation as he walked to the plate in the first inning, with fans on their feet for half of his first at-bat.
“I definitely sensed how loud the crowd was. I tried to tune them out a little bit, but they were a little bit too loud. We’ll take that all day long,” Utley said.
Chase wouldn’t do much else on the field the rest of the night that would be deserving of applause from the usually harsh Philly crowd, but he heard cheers all night long regardless. Utley finished the night 0-5 with one strikeout, but fans were simply elated with the fact that the team put up a 10 spot on the day he returned.
As Charlie Manuel mentioned before the game, Chase’s mere presence and demeanor can take a bit of pressure off of the guys and his quiet leadership can be felt by teammates. I joked on Twitter during the game that “Chase Utley looked at Placido Polanco, so Polly hit a 2-run home run.”
Asked whether he thought his presence had something to do with his fellow teammates lighting up the scoreboard, Chase brushed it off.
“I don’t know, I think definitely the crowd had something to do with it too.”
Utley may not have had a good night at the plate, but he was playing second base for the Phillies. For some fans, that step alone was a welcomed one — a big win certainly helps.
“I put a lot of hard work over the past couple months to get to this point. I was just happy to be out there.”
Now to up that hit total.
US Presswire photo
|phillyphanatic77 on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|Hiccup on Cliff Lee struck out 13 Braves…|
|Chutley on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|Mostel on Cole Hamels gives the most Col…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money