Aug 10, 2011, 12:37 AM EDT
It was Lee’s second home run of the season and put the Phils up 2-0 in the seventh. Perhaps the most enjoyable aspect of a Phillies pitcher bashing home runs? It has to be the reaction from his battery mate, Carlos Ruiz, who gets about as giddy as anyone when Cliff Lee hits a homer. They even showed off a little hand sign celebration of some sort in the dugout afterwards.
And if you were wondering about Lee’s hand gesture before entering the dugout, which T-Mac wrongly guessed meant “go get me that baseball,” the Inqy’s Matt Gelb says it was directed at Kyle Kendrick, who now owes him some cashola.
Lee’s gesture? That was for Kendrick. He owes him money now.
PREVIOUSLY: Cliff Lee is awesome, adds home run hitter to resume
Lee went on to pitch a clean seventh and eighth before Charlie Manuel turned the game over to his closer Ryan Madson for the ninth.
Madson allowed a single to Matt Kemp to keep things interesting. Kemp eventually scored on a Casey Blake single that brought the winning run to the plate, but Mad Dog locked it in against Rod Barajas and struck out the former Phillies Killer to end the game.
Lee’s performance, both on the mound and at the dish, was stellar. He earned his 12th win of the year. Clifton’s final line: 8 IP, 4 hits, 0 runs, 2 BB, and 10 Ks.
With the win, the Phillies reach 36 games above .500 for the first time since the end of the 1977 season and also secure yet another series win in L.A.
Back at it for another sweep attempt tomorrow afternoon with Vance Worley on the hill.
Damn it feels good to be a Phillies fan.
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
|sfsu on Ray Emery will go again for Fl…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money