Apr 15, 2011, 9:25 PM EDT
Most people regret that last shot of tequila at the bar at 1:30 in the morning, or drunk dialing your ex girlfriend, or maybe even paying too much for car insurance. That’s what normal people regret. Cliff Lee regrets walking one batter in the eighth inning of his fantastic complete game shutout last night to cap off the Phillies 4-0 victory and fourth straight series victory to start off the season. At least that’s what he told Sarge in his postgame interview, that he regretted that lone walk.
It’s okay, Cliff, you got away with that one. [video below]
But damn, what a difference one start makes. Cliff’s turnaround from his last outing in Atlanta was obvious.
“Early in the game, I was locating fastballs and keeping the ball down. The difference from this start to last start is everything was just a little bit up in Atlanta, and this start it was a little more down,” Lee told reporters.
Cliff’s dominant 3 hit, 12 K, complete game shutout was predicated on his fastball, Lee said. His heater was working all night and he was able to locate it. He mixed in a few nasty curves later in the game, but when the heat is on, Cliff is tough to beat.
In fact, Lee’s performance on Thursday was the best pitching performance from a starter in all of baseball this season according to ESPN’s unique GameScore.
Carlos Ruiz put an end to Jordan Zimmermann’s impressive outing by getting his home run trot on, but at least one Phillie was quite impressed with the Nats’ starters stuff.
“That might be the best fastball I’ve ever seen,” Lee said of Zimmermann after the game.
It’s back to the Bank tonight as the Marlins are in town for a three game set. Just keep winning series.
VIDEO: Cliff talks about his great outing in DC.
|wholesale Senior Bow… on ‘Who’s That Guy?…|
|clubberlangphila on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money