Jun 19, 2013, 11:36 AM EDT
Cliff Lee was his typical amazing self on Tuesday night in the Phillies victory over the Washington Nationals. Following the game, Lee talked about some of his previous comments about just “wanting to win” being “misconstrued” in the media. You can count us among those who thought his previous comments meant he was more than okay with being dealt come the trade deadline if the Phillies weren’t in contention.
Lee talked to reporters following the game and clarified that he wants to win here. CSNPhilly’s Jim Salisbury has more:
“I don’t really care how it’s interpreted to be honest with you. I want to win. I signed here to win and that’s never going to change no matter who asks me,” Lee said after his seventh straight win and his sixth start this season with at least eight innings pitched. “I think it’s misconstrued in thinking I wanted to play somewhere else and that’s not the case. I want to win and I want to win here and that’s it.
I don’t really think the media was wrong in putting two and two together and coming up with the result that Lee would be okay with being dealt given the above scenario. And I still think he probably feels that way, he’s just not going to come out and say it exactly.
Which is the way a stud pitcher in Philadelphia should handle such questions.
For now, he’s still Philadelphia’s ace. And he’s frigging awesome.
|phillyphanatic77 on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|Hiccup on Cliff Lee struck out 13 Braves…|
|Chutley on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|Mostel on Cole Hamels gives the most Col…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money