Jun 30, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
One of the Phillies aces took a liner to the glove hand in the fourth inning and did not return for the fifth after finishing out the frame. While it’s unfortunate that Hamels had to leave the game and that the Phils subsequently lost to the Red Sox in the final game of the three game set, the good news is that Hamels’ X-rays were negative.
“He got hit real hard, and it definitely started swelling,” Charlie Manuel said of Hamels hand. “I can only go by what the doctors tell me, but at the same time, we do expect him to make his next start.”
Jon Lester pitched well for the Red Sox and bested the Phils bullpen. “He was mixing his fastball up well on both sides of the plate,” Manuel said of Lester.
David Herndon, who has been solid over his last 11 appearances, didn’t have it this afternoon. Andrew Carpenter was hit around for a couple of runs as well.
Ryan Howard got the Phils on the board with a two-run bomb in the bottom of the ninth, but the Phillies failed to get the tying run to the plate and Jonathon Papelbon shut the door after Bobby Jenks failed to do so.
The Red Sox won 5-2 on Thursday, but the Phils took a series over Boston for the first time under Charlie Manuel’s regime. Just keep winning series.
Don’t forget: the Phils play three straight day games in Toronto tomorrow, Saturday, and Sunday.
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
|sfsu on Ray Emery will go again for Fl…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money