Oct 17, 2011, 3:53 PM EST
Unfortunately for Phillies fans, we’re not getting daily stories about the coming World Series this week. But Philadelphia baseball scribes haven’t simply gone into hiding until February rolls around. Instead, we’re getting a Philadelphia history lesson of sorts from CSNPhilly.com’s John Finger.
First up, Finger takes a look at the 1911 Philadelphia Athletics led by the legendary Connie Mack. Like all of you, I was not alive in 1911 and like most of you (I’m assuming) my knowledge of the history of the Athletics is quite limited. (I did see some of their elephant-adorned memorabilia in the Hall of Fame up in Cooperstown once.) But I find tales of old school baseball in our city fascinating.
Most people I know think of Connie Mack as the guy who simply had a stadium named after him, but he actually managed for an unbelievable 50 years! Finger asks: For a guy who was such an institution in this city for so many years, why is he not recognized more for it?
Also, one of the parts I found most interesting was Mack’s apparent penchant for penny pinching, “He spent the last two decades of his career achieving solid mediocrity
in the standings and seemingly popularized the practice of the “fire
sale.” Oh yes, even a century ago Mack, also the owner of the A’s,
massaged his player payroll the way clubs do now.”
I wonder how modern day fans in Philadelphia would have reacted to this?
Worth a read, baseball fans.
|DIckie on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
|philasopher on Why the upcoming free agency b…|
|dawkisgod on Which Philadelphia Union playe…|
|Bonsai Steve on Mosher: DeSean Jackson’s…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return