Jun 25, 2011, 5:57 PM EDT
While last night wasn’t necessarily the pitchers’ duel you usually get in a walkoff 1-0 game, the lack of offense was nonetheless its hallmark. Despite having some command issues, Vance Worley allowed just one hit, and the bullpen conceded the same amount in the final three innings. Two-hit in the opener, the A’s now face Cole Hamels, the NL’s WHIP leader, who is trying to become the first NL pitcher to 10 wins.
Cole will face Trevor Cahill, a talented righty coming off a strong start against San Francisco. He needed one too, having given up four or more earned runs in his five previous starts. White hot through late May, Cahill has seen his ERA rise from 2.02 on May 29 to 3.24 in late June. Nonetheless, he’s a formidable young starter who can shut down a lineup on any given night.
Your Fightins lineup for tonight is Rollins, Polanco, Utley, Howard, Victorino, Ibanez, Brown, Ruiz, Hamels.
With the bullpen nicked up, the Phils could use a long night from Hamels. The bats can help that happen with a lead before the late innings, allowing Charlie Manuel to let Cole hit rather than need a pinch hitter.
Roy Oswalt gave an update on his prognosis as well. A bulging disc in his back is expected to keep him out until at least August, but the beats relayed that Oswalt’s tune seemed to have changed somewhat from the somber note he shared when initially describing his injury.
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|willh888 on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Gregg on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|bruiserbrigade on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money