May 27, 2011, 12:47 PM EST
Ahh, yes. Memorial Day Weekend is upon us. Hopefully you’re reading this on your iPhone while sitting beachside down the shore — worst case scenario you’re in some traffic on the Atlantic City Expressway. If you do happen to be sitting in an office, we’re sorry. It’ll get better.
Memorial Day Weekend is a time to take it easy, and with that, the Phillies will kick off a three game set against the Mets in New York before a quick trip south to face the Nationals. Beating up on the dregs of the NL East is how the Phillies can put some distance between themselves and the rest of the NL. The Phillies should beat up on the Mets and Nats. That’s what they were built to do.
You have to like the Phils pitching matchups this weekend with Roy Oswalt kicking it off tonight against left-hander Chris Capuano, followed by Hamels vs. Pelfrey, and finally Worley vs. Niese on Sunday. Even the Phillies fill-in fifth starter instills a pretty nice level of confidence in Phillies fans when facing the Mets.
Hopefully the Phils caught up on their sleep last night after the wild two wins in roughly 16 hours on Thursday. The wacky 19-inning game counts just the same as any other in the win column, but pulling that out with the team rallying behind Danys Baez and Wilson Valdez seemed to increase morale amongst the team and the fanbase more than any other victory this season.
The Mets, of course, have been going through some franchise drama that is hilarious to outsiders rooting for other teams, but must be truly painful for the Flushing Faithful. You almost feel bad for… No. No, you don’t almost feel bad for them.
First pitch tonight scheduled for 7:10. Any Philadelphians heading up the turnpike to take in a game at Citi? Or transplants showing their support?
Enjoy the weekend. Eat some ice cream. Keep your beer cold. Go Phils.
A quick note on another Mets matter, Mike Missanelli recently took an opportunity to call Mets fans “half-human, obnoxious, drunks.” While we dislike Mets fans as much as the next Phillies fan, Mikey Miss seems to be falling into the same stereotypical trap that we get so angry about national columnist using when talking about Philly fans. Metsblog also claims Phillies fans are still “obsessed” with New York. He’s wrong, of course. We just love a good laugh.
|Bonsai Steve on Mosher: DeSean Jackson’s…|
|Nick Russo on 3 Stars: Giroux, Voracek pace…|
|Steve on Adrian Peterson thinks Mike Vi…|
|Ummmm on Union unveil new primary kits,…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return