Jul 21, 2011, 6:54 PM EST
With the trade deadline rapidly approaching, rumors are heating up. But Ruben Amaro is playing it cool (sorry! just wanted to use this photo from yesterday at Wrigley) and has opted not to comment publicly. But what is a trade deadline good for if not rampant speculation?
The Internet was buzzing today about a potential deal between the Houston Astros and Philadelphia Phillies that would center around outfielder Hunter Pence and starting pitcher Vance Worley.
The rumors seemed to stem from a “sourced” Buster Olney tweet that read, “Source: The Phillies would prefer to structure any of their Hunter Pence offers around Vance Worley.”
First, I am in the camp that is surprised the Astros are even considering trading Pence. And second, more news came later in the afternoon to quell those rumors a bit, “Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald was told by a source that Pence won’t be moved by the Astros.”
And so the hot stove rumors turn.
Todd Zolecki did a fine job rounding up much of the Pence/Carlos Beltran/reliever buzz and adds what the Phillies likely thinking is around each guy. Basically, as they’ve shown in recent years, they’d much prefer a guy that they can control beyond this season (Pence) as opposed to a rental (Beltran).
Continuing with that theme, Beerleaguer takes a look at two other players, Leo Nunez (who we mentioned on Tuesday) and Kansas City outfielder Melky Cabrera, noting that they’d both be controllable through 2012.
Finally, Jim Salisbury takes a look at how the Phillies may handle the closer situation with both Antonio Bastardo and Ryan Madson showing they’re entirely capable of delivering in that role.
Placido Polanco received a series of injections today and is expected to start feeling better in the next couple of days. Joe Blanton’s outlook does not look as promising, as he’s hit another setback. Sully has more plus news that the Phils have added former Met Aaron Heilman to their minor league system.
Here’s a shot of Dom Brown I took yesterday from field level under the bleachers, through the fence, at Wrigley Field yesterday.
|Jason R. on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return