May 5, 2011, 8:28 AM EDT
As we flipped the TV from the end of the Flyers game over to check in to see how the local nine were doing, my dad — trying to be his typical positive self — said, “At least we can count on the Phillies.”
It’s true. They seem pretty reliable these days and proved it once again last night behind another impressive outing from Vance Worley. Making his second start of the season due to Joe Blanton’s DL stint, Worley pitched six strong innings, allowing only one run while striking out seven. The solid combo of J.C. Romero and Michael Stutes pitched a clean inning apiece and the offense put up a 7 spot to secure a win despite Danys Baez pitching like Danys Baez in the ninth.
The offense looked solid from top to bottom, with Ryan Howard being the only starter who failed to reach base. Even Vance Worley got in on the hitting action and later scored a run.
The most promising news on the night for Phillies fans, however, was the continued recent warming of Raul Ibanez’s bat. Raul started things off in the 5th with a bomb of a homer to the seats in right center — absolutely ripped. He finished the night 3-4 with a RBI and a pair of runs scored.
During the postgame interview, Sarge Matthews joked to Ibanez about the other players in the clubhouse no longer having to hide the razors.
If Ibanez can continue hitting at a respectable level, the Phillies offense should be just fine.
All in all, another great night at the bank to secure a series victory over the Nationals. Doc Halladay will go for the sweep this evening against Evil John Lannan before the Braves come to town this weekend.
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money