Jul 6, 2012, 10:07 AM EST
You know those guys who are just wholly average save for their inexplicable magnificence against your favorite team?
Meet Scott Hairston.
A platooner with far better success off lefties than righties, Scott has never played a full season in his nine years in Major League Baseball, but routinely mashes the Phillies. For reference, he’s the guy who went yard the last two games in a row off Cole Hamels and Cliff Lee.
So how much better is Hairston against the Phillies than against any other team? Become incredulous after the jump…
In 40 games vs. the Phils: .306 / .336 / .685
Quick math shows that his lifetime .768 OPS jumps to a staggering 1.021 against the Phils. His tOPS+ reveals those batting numbers are 65 percent better than his career averages.
Against only one team has Hairston had more success, the St. Louis Cardinals, but that success is less sustained, coming in roughly 1/3 of the plate appearances (116 vs. PHI, 41 vs. STL).
Against last night’s starter Cole Hamels in particular, Hairston is 11-for-28 with five homers, four doubles, and nine RBI.
Alternate titles for this post included: “Scott Hairston, If Only We Were Kidding,” and “Scott Hairston, C’Mon Man, Seriously, What the F***”
One other outlier (courtesy Elias): David Wright is the only player in Major League Baseball to have walk-off hits off both Mariano Rivera and Jonathan Papelbon.
And those are your feel-good notes of the morning.
|db21 on Connor Barwin says Eagles used…|
|2sentz on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|thisguy on Philly WrestleMania update: no…|
|Chris on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages