Sep 13, 2011, 2:19 AM EDT
The friggin’ Houston Astros, man. There’s something about the lowly Astros and the Phillies when it comes to late-in-the-season baseball that just doesn’t spin the proper way in the universe.
Jimmy Rollins said it best after the Phillies 5-1 loss in Houston last night:
It was a completely sloppy game for the Phillies; an unfamiliar and unwelcome sight to see them stumble so much defensively. The night was perhaps best summarized by the play pictured above during which Jimmy Rollins and second baseman Pete Orr — instead of turning a double play to end the fourth inning — collided and allowed a run to score while making no play on the ball.
This was not the kind of effort we’ve come to expect from the Phillies any longer. It’s safe to say they mailed this one in. Charlie knew it, too.
“I thought we played a sloppy game,” Manuel said. “That bothered me a lot.”
If they weren’t so damn good and so far ahead in the standings a fan might get angry. But, you know, there’s that whole magic number thing that’s rapidly setting into the horizon and will disappear completely in the next few days.
I’m not going to lose any sleep over this loss, but there’s no denying it was a rare accented blemish on this wonderful season.
Even Charlie, despite showing his displeasure with the sloppy play, kept things a bit light.
Manuel blamed Orr for colliding with Rollins on the ball that resulted in an RBI hit for Jimmy Paredes.
think Orr has to catch that ball in front of Rollins,” Manuel said.
“Then again, he’s been trying to bump into someone for three days.”
That was a clear reference to Orr’s nearly running into a bratwurst during the sausage race in Milwaukee on Friday night.
Colbert takes the hill on Tuesday night against Should Of Kept to try and get the Phils off the two game slide.
|docdeath20 on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|mslavick on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|Feves on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|Matt S. on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return