May 18, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT
It’s a well-established rule in baseball, but one Phillies fans may have taken for granted. You have to go back almost a full month to April 21 to find the last time they cleared the fence with runners on base – until Friday.
If you click here, there is video proof of Jimmy Rollins almost effortlessly crushing the ball over the left-field wall, a two-run shot with Cliff Lee on that helped give the Phillies an early lead. Sure, it was one they would blow before finally eking out a 5-3 win with an eighth-inning rally against the Reds, but J-Roll’s bash sure helped. The Phillies had 16 consecutive home runs of the solo variety leading up to this one.
It was a milestone hit for Rollins, as he crossed the plate for 1,200th time in his career. He’s also four home runs shy of 200 with that blast.
Rollins has been hot of late as well. He is currently riding a six-game hitting streak, and he has four multi-hit outings in his last eight.
There are a lot of reasons the Phils have struggled offensively this season, but their lack of power with runners on base hasn’t helped. It used to be a staple of this team, back in 2008 for instance when Chase Utley and Ryan Howard were mashing the ball over the place. Hopefully this is an event the Phillies can duplicate with some frequency in the days and weeks to come.
>> Video: Jimmy Rollins two-run homer [MLB]
|shopping.google.nl on Hunter Pence Rides ‘Let…|
|Chutley on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|Chutley on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money