Jan 17, 2012, 6:03 PM EDT
Jimmy Rollins gave us a teaser on Twitter a few months back when he showed off an email he received from a young kid in Uganda who loved playing baseball and looked up to the Philadelphia Phillies shortstop. There was clearly a correspondence going on and it looked as if Jimmy may be seeing him soon.
As it turns out, J-Roll recently traveled to Africa for the first time ever to meet the youngster and his fellow baseball players in Uganda. It’s safe to say, Jimmy was blown away by the kids and their skills.
ESPN The Magazine’s Steve Wulf wrote about Rollins’ experience with the kids. Not surprisingly, the trip seems to have meant as much to Rollins as it did for the kids, who will hopefully get a nicer ball field due in part to Jimmy’s efforts.
The whole story is worth your time, for sure, but we thoroughly enjoyed one nugget in particular. Jimmy was pulled onto a stage during a lunchtime gathering on Martin Luther King Day and busted out a freestyle rap that went something like this, according to ESPN:
“One two one two, in Uganda baseball comes through
Big D Lee in the house and so is me doing it everyday casually
Because we like to play and get down, Uganda, Nsambya, the big towns
I’m not done, we get it down, we get it too, I stand up and push, it’s on you
And when the ball leave the field I’m gonna clown
Walk down the baseline, throw a pound
To the sky, up high, to my fans, we got a plan
Everybody just say baseball … baseball
Everybody say baseball … baseball”
Please, please, please let there be a cell phone video of this.
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money