Jun 16, 2011, 12:54 PM EDT
When you look at the 1993 Philadelphia Phillies team almost two decades later, John Kruk and Mitch Williams of all people seem to be the most visible in a positive light at a national level (Ruben Amaro Jr. and Larry Andersen are all over the place in the local scene, and Lenny Dykstra may be visible nationally but for all the wrong reasons). Kruker does his work for ESPN while Mitchy Poo gets busy on the MLB Network.
Who would have thought that of all the guys on that wacky roster, Kruk and Mitch would go on to successful post-playing careers in baseball?
Clearly Kruk’s demeanor and jovial take on life has helped him become popular on Baseball Tonight. But it’s not his analyst career that the Phillies plan to honor him for later this summer. [watch Kruk's hilarious presser below]
Kruk will be honored by the organization on Friday, August 12 by being added to the Phillies Wall of Fame out in Ashburn Alley. According to the team’s press release, the Kruker is one of only six Phillies with a career OBP of .400 or higher.
We’ll probably remember him best for his reaction to almost getting beaned in the head by a Randy Johnson fast ball.
Kruk spoke at Citizens Bank Park this afternoon prior to the team’s series finale against the Florida Marlins, and he showed why fans love(d) him so much over the years by being gracious and incredibly humorous.
|willh888 on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
|Matt S. on Michael Carter-Williams is you…|
|FlyersFan on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
|rw on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money