Aug 24, 2011, 11:41 AM EDT
The Phils will try to finish off the sweep of the Mets this afternoon at Citizens Bank Park as Kyle Kendrick (7-5, 3.24) will take on right-hander Mike Pelfrey (6-10, 4.61). The Phils will get to enjoy an off-day on Thursday so finishing off the Mets with a win today would make their likely lunches in Rittenhouse tomorrow that much more enjoyable.
Check out this fun Mets facts from Elias:
The Phillies ran their streak of unanswered runs against the Mets to 19 last night before the Mets scored a run in the 7th inning. Earlier this season Philadelphia had a streak of 24 unanswered runs against the Mets. It’s the first time that a team has had two unanswered-run streaks of 19-or-more against an opponent in one season since Houston did it against Pittsburgh in 1994. The Phillies hadn’t scored 19 consecutive runs against a team twice in a season since 1931 (against the Boston Braves).
Kendrick is coming off of a real solid start in Washington in which he allowed only five hits over six innings in a game that he was told he’d be the starter for after the game had already began and was subsequently delayed by rain. That was a heck of an effort. He’s also allowed 3 ER or fewer in each of his last 6 starts and is 2-2 in 6 career starts against the Mets at CBP.
Pelfrey is coming off of a loss to the Brewers in which he allowed 4 runs (3 earned) in five innings of work.
Recommended Reading: Check out Bob Ford’s look at how a winter lunch with Ruben Amaro Jr. may have helped turn John Mayberry Jr.’s career around.
This Afternoon’s Lineup: Victorino, Polanco, Utley, Howard, Pence, Mayberry, Ruiz, Valdez, and Kendrick.
It’s an early 1:05 Business Person’s Special today at CBP. See you down there.
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money