Aug 31, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT
It’s a bit easier to stay interested when the Phillies are playing down at Citizens Bank Park. You can still hop on the Broad Street Line, get a cheap ticket, eat some tasty ribs or a roast pork, wash it down with a Langunitas IPA, and mingle with friends while watching some baseball on a warm summer night. But now that they’ve dropped to 17.5 out in the East and 9 out in the wild card race with just a month to play, it’s tough to get real excited about tuning in to watch the Fightins on the road, especially during Labor Day Weekend.
It’s sad to say it, but the Phillies are relegated to background noise at the BBQ or deck at the shore this weekend. That is if you’re not rocking out to some HOV or the Boss outside on the streets of Philadelphia or outfield of CBP.
That said, Roy Halladay (8-7, 3.88) pitches for the Phillies tonight down in Atlanta, and any time Doc takes the mound it’s worth keeping an eye on.
Halladay is coming off of a real solid outing against the Nationals in which he went 7.0 strong while allowing only 7 hits, and 2 earned while walking 1 and striking out 6 en route to a 4-2 Phillies victory.
He’ll face left-hander Mike Minor (7-10, 4.71) who tosses for the Braves.
It’s a 7:35 start time from Atlanta. The Barves currently hold one of the wild card spots, but Pittsbrugh and the Dodgers are certainly within striking distance. As we like to say, it’s always fun to play spoiler.
Talking Points: If you missed it yesterday, here’s video of the first play in question where Jimmy Rollins didn’t hustle as much as Charlie Manuel would have liked. Personally, after watching it a couple of times today, it seems even more much-ado-about-nothing than I had originally thought.
|Phil From Mt Airy on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|fknboz on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Andrew M on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Mostel on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return