May 5, 2011, 10:47 PM EDT
The Phils completed the three game sweep of the Washington Nationals with a 7-3 win tonight. Doc went seven innings, fanned 10, walked 0, and gave up 2 earned runs. Yawn.
Raul put a number of good passes on the ball (hitting coach term) on his way to going 3-4 (just a triple short of the cycle) with a bomb into the second deck in right and 3 RBI’s.
The new old 1-2 combination of Jimmy Rollins and Shane Victorino combined to go 3-8 with a walk, 2 RBI’s (both on a Victorino HR) and 2 steals.
Antonio Bastardo and Ryan Madson came out of the pen to close it out. The three pitchers this evening had an absurdly ridiculous 12/0 K/BB ratio. This just in, the pitching has been good.
I suppose it bears mentioning that not only did Nats starter John Lannan
fail to get out of the third inning, but he also did not plunk anyone
and break their wrist (although as commenter Phever points out Lannan did hit Shane in the first, but did not break any of his bones). Success.
In case you’ve been caught up with the various injury news and intermittent offensive struggles your Phillies are 21-9. Yeah, your squad is playing .700 baseball despite being without their All Star second baseman, their starting catcher, and two closers.
Finally, Jayson Werth went just 3-10 with 3 K’s over his three-game return to CBP. Come back anytime.
- CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury reports that Chase Utley will head to Florida for some extended spring training, perhaps as soon as Friday.
- Roy Oswalt returned to the team and may pitch on Saturday.
- Joe Blanton tossed a bullpen session today and may make a start on Monday.
- Nationals reliever Todd Coffey somehow got a bloody nose while on the mound. He’s the picture of physical fitness, so I can’t imagine how or why he got a nose bleed. That’s one healthy lad.
- Jimmy Rollins picked up his 350th career stolen base. Shane notched his 150th steal on the same play. Double steal!
|duffman on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|willh888 on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|ochospantalones on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|Ben on One national writer thinks Eag…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return