Jul 22, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
How did the Phillies lose two of three in a series to the Mets, you ask? It’s almost not even fair when Matt Harvey gets to pitch one of those games.
Harvey has started 30 games in the Major Leagues since his call-up last July, five of those against the Phils already – more than any other opponent. Unfortunately the All-Star right-hander just happens to be posting better numbers against the Fightins than any of the other eight teams he’s faced on more than one occasion, not to mention a fair number of clubs he’s battled only once as well.
With stats like these, it’s no secret why New York is almost automatic (4-1) when Harvey is seeing Philly red. The Phillies get very little leeway in a three-game set.
Matt Harvey’s stats vs. Phillies: 33.1 IP, 1.08 ERA, 15 H, 4 ER, 38 K, 8 BB, and 4-0 (in 5 starts) assuming Mets win. Wow. #PhilliesTalk
— Mike Wisniewski (@wisniewski_mike) July 21, 2013
Domonic Brown is 0 for 8 versus Harvey, and struck out four times in four at bats on Sunday. Jimmy Rollins and Michael Young are each 1 for 9. The only player in the Phillies’ clubhouse who has experienced any significant amount of success off of Harvey at all is Chase Utley, who moved up to 3 for 8 lifetime with a double in Sunday’s loss.
Obviously it was another gem for Harvey, who went seven strong, surrendering zero runs on three hits and striking out 10 in a 5-0 victory, his eighth. Impressive as that is, the box score doesn’t even begin to tell the whole story.
— Baseball Tonight (@BBTN) July 21, 2013
23 swings-and-misses on 112 pitches? Yikes. Did we mention he’s only 24? Yeah, he’s only 24 – and not going anywhere for a long, long time.
|Renee on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|yishmeister on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Reneecel on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money