Jun 3, 2011, 12:04 PM EDT
The Phillies announced this afternoon that they have optioned John Mayberry Jr. to the Lehigh Valley IronPigs to make room for Shane Victorino to return to the 25-man roster. It’s a move many Phillies fans will surely be angry with due to Mayberry playing quite well in limited time as opposed to other potential candidates like Michael Martinez (Rule 5), Ben Francisco, or even an arm like Mike Zagurski.
My opinion? While the decision doesn’t seem to make the most sense in the short-term, I wouldn’t fret too much. Mayberry has shown he can man the outfield well, swing a nice bat, and be a threat on the bases. He’ll be back with the club in the not-too-distant future. It’s just the 25th spot on the roster, after all.
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
|kirk on Video proof that Wayne Simmond…|
|Andrew Kulp on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
|Jim on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return