Jul 17, 2011, 4:46 PM EST
That’s more like it. The Philadelphia Phillies have completed their seventh series victory in their last seven match ups. The win against the rival Mets stretches the club’s record to 29-16 against the NL East, the best intra-division win-loss in all of baseball.
Despite a barrage of overnight rumblings that Ryan Howard is possibly the worst thing since unsliced bread, the Big Piece opened up today’s scoring with a two-out RBI liner into right, scoring Chase Utley from second.
Later, in the fifth, third baseman Michael Martinez shocked the baseball world by launching an absolute bomb over the Modell’s sign in right. Thankfully, as noted on the broadcast, the gentleman on the receiving end of Michael’s very first major league home run was a proud Phillies fan. The ball was, reportedly, returned to Martinez for safe keeping. Right on.
The Phils final three runs would come in the eighth thanks to a base-loaded walk off pitcher Pedro Beato and a two-RBI single from Jimmy Rollins, bringing in Dom Brown and Brian Schneider.
Immediately after, Schneider was pulled from the ballgame, leaving Carlos Ruiz to catch the eighth and ninth.
With Ruiz behind the dish, Juan Perez went Ricky Vaughn and walked the first three batters he faced, prompting the Phils to opt for the returning Ryan Madson in what was, at the time, a seven-run ballgame. Attempting to work out of his inherited bases-loaded jam, Madson forced a quick double play, though struggled to do more. He would hit a batter, walk a batter and give up three runs on two hits before getting pulled for Antonio Bastardo, who struck out Justin Turner to end the inning without any further blood loss.
Bastardo would close out the ninth, but not before giving up one extra run in the ninth on a two-out Luca Duda triple. It was Antonio’s first run allowed in his last nineteen appearances. One batter later, Michael Martinez would make an impressive grab at third to rob Ronnie Paulino of a hit and end the game.
I’ll leave you with that, as the U.S. Women are now headed for extra time. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
|Jason R. on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return