Jun 11, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
Carlos Zambrano is blowing through the Phillies’ farm system, but he’s not headed for the big leagues just yet. After successful starts for both Clearwater and Reading, Zambrano is set to move up to Triple-A affiliate Lehigh Valley this week – one step away from returning to the show.
Zambrano made two starts with the Threshers, and pitched again for the Fightin Phils on Saturday. The 32-year-old right-hander is now 2-0 with a 0.55 ERA in the minors this year, and believes he is ready to help the big club. He’ll have to prove himself at least one more time with the IronPigs on Thursday first.
That the Phillies are continuing to bring Zambrano along slowly is something of a surprise given the presence of the two rookie pitchers in the current rotation. Since a solid first couple of months, Pettibone has been less effective in two of his last three starts, surrendering four runs or more over fewer than six innings of work in each. The organization doesn’t seem to be very high on Tyler Cloyd, either – although he’s given the club four quality starts out of five outings this year.
With John Lannan also due back soon, it might be only a matter of time before both are heading back down to the minors. Of course, that could still be contingent on whether Zambrano continues to look strong.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money