Oldest Living American Resides in Phillies Spring Training Home of Clearwater, Which Clearly Means… Something
Jan 31, 2013, 1:42 PM EDT
When the Phillies report to spring training down in Clearwater, Florida next month, Chase Utley will be a year older. Ryan Howard and his Achilles will be a year older. Roy Halladay will be a year older. Everyone is going to be older. Life works like that. That’s what all of their detractors love to point out. But at least none of them were born in the 19th century like Clearwater neighbor Elsie Thompson who is just about two months away from her 114th birthday, making her the oldest living American and fifth oldest person in the world.
The Tampa Bay Times recently profiled Mrs. Thompson after she became the oldest living American a couple of weeks back.
Born on April 5, 1899, during the William McKinley administration, she
is one of the few human beings left on Earth who drew breath during the
19th century. There are only 14 of those people left — only six are
She even grew up in Pennsylvania and went to high school with Jamie Moyer.
“It’s one thing to be 110. It’s another thing to be 113,” [UCLA gerontologist] Young said.
“If 110 is like being in the major leagues, 113 is like the all-star
I don’t really know what any of this has to do with anything Phillies-related. But they are old. And so is Elsie.
>>Clearwater woman is oldest living American [Tampa Bay Times]
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money