May 12, 2012, 10:29 AM EDT
It seems maybe, just maybe, if the Phils have this bullpen thing worked out like they did on Friday night — two shutout innings from Antonio Bastardo and one from Chad Qualls — the Fightins might be finding their groove at the plate. Keyed by three-RBI nights from Carlos Ruiz and John Mayberry, the Phillies bounced back from an ugly sweep against the Mets with a 7-3 victory over the San Diego Padres.
Vance Worley picked up his third win of the season, allowing three earned over six while striking out nine, but the story is the offense gaining an early lead and never letting up. Ruiz was 3-for-3 and Mayberry was 2-for-4, both taking Padres starter Clayton Richard deep once, as the Phils scored runs in four out of eight possible innings.
The offensive resurgence has been lost in the shuffle a bit as the club has struggled to stay above .500 while battling a litany of other issues, but it is real. Through the first 16 games of the season, the Phillies averaged 2.7 runs per game. Over the last 17, they’re rocking 5.1. Even if you throw out the 15-13 slugfest against the Braves, the Phils have still averaged 4.6 RPG over the latter half of baseball.
Mayberry has become a big part of the reason why. He’s now 8-for-26 (.308) during the month of May, bumping his average for the season up to .240. It’s reassuring to see him hit for some power too, as last night’s bomb was his first of the year.
Placido Polanco was also 2-for-4 in the victory, and is now batting .283 after a horrid start to his campaign that saw him hitting below the Mendoza line as late as April 24. He’s had multiple hits in seven of the last 13 starts.
And Ruiz just continues to roll. Chooch is now the clubhouse leader or ranked second in most offensive categories. Last night’s long ball was his sixth of the season — his career high is nine — to go with 15 runs and 22 RBIs in 2012.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return