Jun 22, 2011, 10:23 PM EDT
Word first broke via the Lehigh Valley IronPigs twitter around 9:40 pm EST that the Phillie Phanatic was sidelined during his trip to Coca-Cola Park after being hit by a foul ball.
“The Phanatic will not perform again tonight as a precautionary measure after being hit by a foul ball,” was the official word.
Wednesday was “World Famous Phillie Phanatic appearance” night in the Valley, according to the IronPigs website.
We assume the Phanatic was unavailable for comment following the game (because he can’t speak), but he likely gestured a “Suck It” sign in the general vicinity of the guy who fouled the ball off at him. We assume that means he’ll be just fine when the Phillies return home to face the Athletics in Inter-League play on Friday.
In the dire instance that the Phanatic were unable to perform at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia this weekend, we know a guy with a pretty high VORP (Value Over Replacement Phanatic).
REAL NEWS UPDATE: Turns out the Phanatic was actually hurt badly enough where he needed to go to the hospital. From the Morning Call, “The Phanatic was entertaining behind the first-base dugout in the top of the third inning when one of the Indianapolis Indians fouled a ball into his neck, a spot that roughly corresponds to Burgoyne’s head.”
Video via NBCPhilly:
View more videos at: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com.
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money