Apr 16, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s a tough night for Phillies fans when Cliff Lee tosses seven strong innings and allows just two runs, yet the offense fails to put him in a position to get the win. Chase Utley gave us a brief moment of hope with his rare pinch-hit home run — a true The Man moment — but that didn’t last long with the Reds getting some luck against Jeremy Horst and Mike Adams. The struggling offense will look to bounce back tonight against right-hander Homer Bailey (1-1, 5.73).
The Phils will counter with Kyle Kendrick (1-1, 5.40). Both pitchers have been solid in one outing this season and have gotten hit around a bit in another. Bailey was fantastic against the potent Nationals but then struggled against the also potent Cardinals.
Beerleaguer has a nice look at how effective Bailey has been over his past 10 starts (2.36 ERA and .169 opponents batting avg):
Bailey has a mid-90s fastball, a slider, curve and split. He uses the fastball most of the time, but turns to the slider when ahead vs. righties and the splitter when ahead vs. lefties.
Bailey’s slider had the second-most vertical break in baseball last season, to Clayton Kershaw. The opposition hit .170 off the pitch. They’re hitting .227 off his fastball through two starts this year.
Chase Utley is back in the lineup tonight and Humberto Quintero will handle the catching duties.
7:10 pm from Great American Ball Park. Look out for plenty of TV shots of dogs. It’s Bark in the Park night, yo. Sad Darin Ruf isn’t around for this one.
Also: Looks Like Rain. So get your patience on:
Tarp coming onto the field in Cincinnati. Probable delayed start to this one, folks.
— Matt Gelb (@magelb) April 16, 2013
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return