Aug 3, 2011, 2:24 AM EDT
Things started out well from the first at-bat on Tuesday night for the Fightins out in the Colorado altitude. Jimmy Rollins led off the game with a walk, was advanced to third on a Shane Victorino single up the right side, and later scored on a Chase Utley fielder’s choice.
Hunter Pence continued his hitting streak as a Phillie in the same inning with a double, scoring Victorino to put the Phillies up 2-0 [video].
With Kyle Kendrick throwing his best outing of the season (perhaps of his career?), that would be all they needed.
But they weren’t done. Ryan Howard, who after the game said he’s been seeing more fastballs with Hunter Pence batting behind him, straight killed a ball in the fourth inning some 430 feet into the Colorado air [video]. He added a second blast to opposite field in the eighth to cap another fantastic night. The Big Piece is locked in.
The Phillies win was their 70th of the season, and coupled with a Nationals victory over the Braves, pushed Philadelphia’s division lead to a beautiful eight games.
And, somewhat fittingly, the postgame clubhouse was playing Bob Marley’s “Burin’ and Lootin’” while the players discussed the 5-0 win. Pretty much what this team is doing to the rest of the National League at this point in the season.
Shane Victorino’s sure caught fire.
Kendrick YouTube by David Hale.
|Franchise on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
|ochospantalones on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|That Guy 895 on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
|sumkat on As free agency opens, remember…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return