Aug 7, 2013, 10:46 AM EDT
The Phillies have had a miserable 2013. There’s no denying that.
One of the lone moments of optimism occurred a couple of weeks back when word broke that the franchise had won the bidding war for Cuban pitcher Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez. Well, now that move may have even gone sour. Ugh.
MLB.com Phillies beat writer Todd Zolecki wrote last night that negotiations between the Phillies and the Cuban hurler have hit a snag and that a deal may not ever happen.
Since the agreement late last month numerous reports have mentioned scouts with questions about Gonzalez’s elbow. He had bone spurs removed from his elbow sometime within the past two years, although it has been written he had made a full recovery.
No official word from the team on anything about this situation, obviously, but this would simply be the latest bummer in a season full of them. Or perhaps it could be viewed as a positive for the organization in terms of not tying up $50 million in a player with less than a 100% clean bill of health.
USA Today Sports photo is not of Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return