Dec 12, 2013, 10:54 AM EDT
The Phillies finally made some waves at the Winter Meetings on Thursday as sources tell CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury that the team has signed free agent pitcher Roberto Hernandez who was formerly known as Fausto Carmona. He pitched for the Tampa Bay Rays last season and finished the year with a 6-13 record and a 4.89 ERA. Here’s what Sully says about the right-hander:
Hernandez struck out a career-high 6.7 batters per nine innings in 2013, while walking just 2.3. An extreme groundball pitcher, Hernandez has a career groundball rate of 57.8 percent. His best season was 2007 with the Indians, when he went 19-8 with a 3.06 ERA and finished fourth in American League Cy Young voting.
The deal is believed to be for one year. I know, surprising from Rube!
Sully also says Hernandez figures to slot into the Phillies rotation right out of spring training.
The Inquirer’s Matt Gelb has more from Amaro:
“It’s more of a depth guy,” Amaro said. “This is not someone who is going to slide into the top of the rotation. He’s in the bottom of the rotation. But we need some depth. Again, we’re trying to get the best bang for our buck. In this marketplace, it’s tough because the prices have soared pretty significantly.”
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
|kirk on Video proof that Wayne Simmond…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return