Dec 12, 2013, 10:54 AM EDT
The Phillies finally made some waves at the Winter Meetings on Thursday as sources tell CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury that the team has signed free agent pitcher Roberto Hernandez who was formerly known as Fausto Carmona. He pitched for the Tampa Bay Rays last season and finished the year with a 6-13 record and a 4.89 ERA. Here’s what Sully says about the right-hander:
Hernandez struck out a career-high 6.7 batters per nine innings in 2013, while walking just 2.3. An extreme groundball pitcher, Hernandez has a career groundball rate of 57.8 percent. His best season was 2007 with the Indians, when he went 19-8 with a 3.06 ERA and finished fourth in American League Cy Young voting.
The deal is believed to be for one year. I know, surprising from Rube!
Sully also says Hernandez figures to slot into the Phillies rotation right out of spring training.
The Inquirer’s Matt Gelb has more from Amaro:
“It’s more of a depth guy,” Amaro said. “This is not someone who is going to slide into the top of the rotation. He’s in the bottom of the rotation. But we need some depth. Again, we’re trying to get the best bang for our buck. In this marketplace, it’s tough because the prices have soared pretty significantly.”
|brandonphilly on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
|CD on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|NBA lottery is rigge… on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|J on CEO Scott O’Neil promise…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money