Mar 30, 2011, 1:54 PM EDT
Raul Ibanez was working a sausage cart midway
through the seventh inning. Cole Hamels was talking on random fans’
cell phones. Shane Victorino was busy playing on the slide in the
playground inside the ball park. Chase Utley was working the bar in the
The only guy at Citizens Bank Park last night who seemingly put in a full night’s work was the Phillie Phanatic.
As for the baseball, the Phillies scored more runs than the Pirates,
8-5 to be exact. Luis Castillo reached base four times and increased his
chances of making the team. Ben Francisco hit a solo home run, ringing
the bell in Ashburn Alley for the first time all season in the process.
Roy Oswalt worked on his fastball placement. And perhaps most
importantly, the team adjusted to the frigid temperatures last night in
Philadelphia after spending well over a month in sunny Florida.
“The ball feels kind of cue ball-ish, I guess you could say. It
didn’t really feel like it had a lot of seams on it. Coming from 85
degree weather to 30-35 degrees,” Oswalt said.
Roy admitted to being a little wild on Tuesday night, but when asked
if he thought he was ready for the season, he said he “better be,” and
that he feels a lot better after battling a stiff neck as a result of
getting hit with a liner down in Clearwater.
Charlie Manuel said after the game that he’s not worried at all about
Oswalt’s shoddy spring numbers, that he’s just glad to have a healthy
Oswalt to start the season.
As for the differences this spring for Roy, going through camp with
the Phillies as opposed to the rest of his career in Houston?
“A lot more sellouts in spring traning this year,” Roy said with a
smile. “It’s been fun. The guys on the staff are great. Shoud be a fun
After one exhibition game at Citizens Bank Park played in frigid
conditions, I think it’s safe to say it’s only gonna get funner.
Katherine Scott shows some of the fun at the ball park. Of course Shane Victorino went down the slide.
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
|kirk on Video proof that Wayne Simmond…|
|Andrew Kulp on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return