Apr 4, 2013, 6:23 PM EDT
Opening Day in Philadelphia is supposed to be festive and joyous. Coming back to Citizens Bank Park tomorrow will be much more enjoyable for the 45,000 or so fans in attendance if the team get find a way to win tonight with Cliff Lee on the mound. Starting with a three game sweep, however, not fun.
Looking for a reason to avoid the panic? From the game notes:
The Phillies have lost the first two games of the season for the fifth time in the last eight years (2006-13) … In each of their previous four 0-2 starts, the Phillies finished the season with a winning percentage over .500 (.525 in 2006, .549 in 2007, .568 in 2008, .574 in 2009) … In three of the last four 0-2 starts (2007-09), the Phillies made the postseason … And in each of the last two seasons in which the Phillies started 0-2 (2008 & 2009), they went to the World Series.
They’ll have their hands full with Braves right-hander Kris Medlan. Laynce Nix is the only change in the Phillies lineup this evening, replacing the vertically-challenged John Mayberry Jr. in right.
7:10 start from Turner Field, where Charlie Manuel joked he’d jump off if the Phils get swept. Please bring one win home.
|greg on Playoff hockey returns to the…|
|chester on Watch Cliff Lee, who is awesom…|
|chester on It doesn’t matter what w…|
|Fly guy on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money