Apr 20, 2011, 12:49 AM EDT
Carlos Ruiz’s 8-game hitting streak ended this afternoon, but that didn’t stop Chooch from delivering a game-changing swing in the eighth inning as he lifted a fly deep enough to center to score Ryan Howard from third and put the Phillies up 3-2. Jose Contreras did his best Brad Lidge impression, walking a pair and making us sweat by putting the tying run on third and the go-ahead run on second, but eventually forced the final out on an infield grounder. Phils won it 3-2 and prevent their first series loss of the season.
The Fightins took an early lead off the bat of Placido Polanco, who lifted what looked like either a potential flyball out or double off the wall, but was carried by the wind into the first row of the seats in right center. It was Polly’s first homer since July 22nd of last season.
Raul Ibanez added a clutch RBI of his own, but also misplayed a bunch of balls in the outfield. Wind or no, Raul’s mishaps were not pretty, and he’d tell you he should make those plays.
Cole Hamels pitched well for most of the game, but found himself in a bit of trouble in the sixth. He limited the Marlins damage to two runs, which kept the Phillies in a position to win it in the eighth.
For those of you with tickets to Monday’s game against the Brewers expecting to see Roy Halladay, thank Mother Nature for giving you a Joe Blanton start instead.
|mattybo24 on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|thekrisheim on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|Marvin Monroe on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|The Green Hornet on Ryan Howard suddenly off to on…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money