May 1, 2012, 4:22 PM EST
The Phillies (11-12) will once again look to get back to the .500 mark this evening as they kick off a string of important NL East games in Atlanta tonight as they take on the Braves (14-9) at Turner Field. Fancy cocktail drinker Cole Hamels (3-1, 2.73) takes on right-hander Brandon Beachy (2-1, 1.05) for the Bravos.
The Phils are currently 3 games behind Atlanta who is a half game back of Washington for the division lead. Those pesky Mets are also 2 games up on the Phils, so winning the next two series against the Braves and Nats could really boost their division standing.
Hamels has been stellar this season and is coming off an 8-inning performance against the Diamondbacks in which he allowed only 4 hits and 2 earned with 7 strikeouts. He had retired 18-straight batters at one point and helped the Phils to a 7-2 victory. He also has solid career numbers against the Braves, 11-6 lifetime and 2-1 last season. The last time he faced them the Fightins won a blowout by the score of 14-1. Remember when the Phillies could put up 14 runs in a week — let alone one game?
Colbert is also batting .300 on the season so he’ll certainly try to do his part to help his own cause.
On the transaction front: David Herndon was placed on the disabled list with a right elbow injury and right-hander Brian Sanches had his contract selected from Lehigh Valley to take Hern Dog’s spot on the 25-man roster.
Jimmy Rollins strung together a couple of hits last night and will once again find himself in Charlie Manuel’s leadoff spot. Placido Polanco has also been picking it up at the dish — more on Polly’s recent turnaround here.
7:10 from Hotlanta. Gonna be one busy night in Philly sports. Go team.
Lineup at ATL. Rollins ss. Polanco 3b. Vic cf. Pence rf. Wigg 1b. Nix lf. Ruiz c. Galvis 2b. Hamels vs. RHP Beachy
— Jim Salisbury (@JSalisburyCSN) May 1, 2012
|brandonphilly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|Danimal on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages