May 14, 2011, 12:32 PM EST
The Phils found a way to keep fighting back last night, and — with the help of their young bullpen — beat the Braves to kick off Civil Rights Weekend. The story of the game had to be the fine job put in by the youngsters in the pen. Michael Stutes registered a huge strikeout, Antonio Bastardo did the same, Vance Worley played the role of setup man just fine by working a clean eighth, and Ryan Madson got the save by pitching a clean ninth.
Ryan Howard launched a home run to get things started, Shane Victorino kept his hitting streak alive while coming up with a huge RBI after seemingly getting struck out. The ump, for whatever reason, called a pitch right down the middle a ball, and Shane made the Braves pay. Raul got in on the action with what would prove to be the game-winning RBI, and the Phils started out the series on the right foot.
The jersey you see above is the Philadelphia Stars Negro League jersey that the Phils will be wearing today as part of Civil Rights Weekend. You can see another shot of the back below. Photos taken by Level reader Bryan S. at the Majestic Clubhouse Store.
The Phils will look to continue their perfect record in day games this season, 10-0, as Joe Blanton (1-1, 5.83) takes on Jair Jurrjens (4-0, 1.50).
First pitch scheduled for 1:10
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return