Aug 8, 2011, 5:21 PM EDT
Yes, the Phillies are coming off a loss yesterday in San Francisco, but check out how bad things are for other teams. The Phils hold a pretty substantial record discrepancy over the team they’ll face this evening. The Phillies, with a record of 74-40, currently sit 34 games above .500 while the Dodgers, with a record of 52-61, are 9 games below even for the season. Pretty amazing considering some pundits thought the Dodgers might be a playoff contender coming into the season.
Charlie Manuel’s squad will wrap up their 20-in-20 stretch at Dodger Stadium over the next three days and they kick it off tonight with Roy Halladay (14-4, 2.55) on the mound. The Fightins have fared quite well when Doc starts for them, holding a record of 19-4 in game’s he has started for them this season. He’ll take on right-hander Hiroki Kuroda (7-13, 2.96) who was the subject of plenty of trade rumblings pre-deadline but didn’t want to be dealt. He’ll be the second most talented Kuroda in action in the L.A. area this evening.
While the Dodgers were a formidable foe for the Fightin Phils just a few short seasons ago, today, they’re a franchise with a proud history fallen on very hard times with ugly ownership issues and a whole lot of debt.
Matt and I played the “word association” game with the “Dodgers” earlier today. He came up with “Moonshot” while I came up with “Broxton.” What do you think when you think Dodgers?
First pitch scheduled for 10:10. Get your post work nap in now so you can see the Doc later.
As of this posting, there was no update on Placido Polanco’s hip, but we’ll update you if we hear anything.
Finally, we leave you with this, from when Stephen Colbert took over the MLB’s Twitter account on Friday afternoon. He probably had Dodgers fans on the mind, I’m sure.
Fair warning: I’m going to stop tweeting after the seventh inning so I can beat traffic. #Colbert
|mslavick on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|Feves on One national writer thinks Eag…|
|Matt S. on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|galasso2586 on What happens on April 4th,…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return